Definition of done also known as DoD is a list of criteria which must be met before a product increment (story) is considered "done".
In software, Done means
- Coded to standards
- Implemented with unit test
- Well documented
In a services context, Done means
- Every task under the User Story has been completed
- and any work created is attached to the User Story
- so the Product Owner can review it
- and it meets his or her expectations.
The Definition of Done ensures everyone on the Team knows exactly what is expected of everything the Team delivers. It ensures transparency and quality fit for the purpose of the product and organization. Getting stories done can double a Teams Velocity.